- Talk features, features, features: Value…benefits…ROI. Too many excess terms to confuse customers. Just focus on features. They’ll think your smart using all that jargon.
- Be difficult to manage: Be late with administrative tasks or, heck, don’t do them at all. Make your employment a challenge to make your manager prove their ability to manage.
- Memorize your presentations: And don’t let customer’s silly questions make you stray from the flow. Most important is that you get to the end of you presentation before you run out of time.
- Don’t have demo backups: It’s a waste of time. If it doesn’t work with the demo system you have, it just wasn’t meant to be. Demos are long and boring anyway.
- Use lots of slides with lots of text: It makes you look smarter, and lots of text on slides gives you immense credibility.
- Constantly berate your competitors: Tell customers truths such as your competitors cause global warming and ask them why in the world they would work with such degenerates.
- Preparation is overrated…Just wing it: Look, there just isn’t time for prep, so don’t bother. Besides, customer executives want to see if you can perform without prep — everyone loves good ad lib!
- Empathy is for weak people: Customers want strong, overbearing types that force solutions down their throats so they don’t have to think or decide themselves.
- Focus on making everything complex: It will make you sound smarter, and customers are far more likely to purchase solutions they don’t understand because complicated means powerful.
- Work all of the time…Always: Never take a break. Your family and friends need to understand that work is #1 and if they don’t, well maybe you don’t need them.
Small, yet easy-to-avoid mistakes add up. They can quickly get you “on the radar” of management. And even worse, “off the radar” of working with customers. Good news – applying the easy to understand best practices from 3D Presales will separate you from the pack – in a good way.
Look for 101 ways to improve your Presales career in a future blog.
In the meantime, don’t be this Presales person: https://tiny.cc/3dpresales
#presales #solutionengineering #3dpresales